Thursday, February 2, 2012

Eataly- Lunch and met Carla Hall !!!!

    Well, let me start off by saying this was a good week. Im on vacation from work, moved into my new place, great weather & feeling good. So things were on the up & up. When a buddy asked if I wanted to take a break from unpacking and go out to lunch- umm, of course.
     She was in the mood for pasta I knew there was a pasta restaurant in Eataly- which was a couple of blocks away so off we went. Eataly is a large marketplace of Italian artisan products and groceries with restaurants and kiosks scattered around. Its massive- I have been a couple of times and still have not soaked it all in. Many products sold are only found there outside of Italy. Looking at the many items brought me back to when I was in Rome and Pisa (going back...someday). 
       We went to the pasta restaurant within Eataly and as we were taken to our table my mouth dropped. We were seated right next to The Chew/ Top Chef Alum Carla Hall and her assistant. So excited because I have been a fan since she was on Top Chef, but of course I held in my composure. We instead just looked at them menu and decided on a starter course which was cheese. While waiting on our cheese my friend started conversation with Carla and Nyemale, her assistant. We talked about food, tea pairing concepts and Carla even gave her recommendation for what we should have for lunch.


Pappardelle Pasta with Mushroom Ragu
Pesto Lasagna
Pesto Lasagna









           

           We took Carla's advice and ordered the special pappardelle pasta with mushroom ragu and the pesto lasagna. The pappardelle pasta was fresh and was cooked just to al dente. The mushroom ragu was very reminiscent of a beef bolognese. It was meaty from the mushrooms and the tomato sauce was heavily flavored with fresh parsley, thyme and basil. Simply delicious, I had no complaints. The pesto lasagna had fresh lasagna sheets layered with green beans, pesto and a cream béchamel sauce. Topping the lasagna was fresh basil, parmesan and toasted pine nuts. I thought the entire dish was well executed and presented. I would have never thought to put green beans in a lasagna and along with the pesto and the crunch of the pine nuts it was simply divine.

            We didn't have to order dessert because Carla was so kind she bought us two types of her Alchemy desserts. They reminded me of cookie nuggets. The  pecan shortbread with vanilla salt reminded me of the pecan sandies that I used to take from my grandmothers kitchen when I was younger. They were light, not too sweet and a perfect way to satisfy any sweet tooth. For a chocolate indulgence the Black Forest Crinkle is fudgy with notes of cherry. You wont feel guilty when eating these because the richness of the chocolate will take over and you will only need a few at a time to quench that chocolate thirst. 

Alchemy Pecan Shortbread with Vanilla Salt & Black Forest Crinkle
      Like I prefaced this entry..... It was a good week that turned better when I went out for lunch. Thanks Carla for all of your culinary insight and recommendations for us. There was a reason why we just happen to sit next to her for lunch. I have additions to my list of places I need to try. Coincidence... I think not. Until the next time :) 


Carla, Natalia & myself

1 comment:

  1. U r soooo lucky I'm super jealous I dvr her everyday she is my fav on the chew. But my day will come one day ill b culinary royality along wit u... in due time

    ReplyDelete